Monday, December 17, 2007

Some ideas to make it go further

We've all had those years where for some reason or another funds were tight. Maybe there was illness, or an unexpected loss of a job, or more recently the price of gas. Here are some things that I've done in the past to make my dollar go further.

1. Dollar Stores - We've bought some really good things at the dollar store (the ones where everything's a dollar or less). I've even found some good items for the adults on my list. My mother-in-law loves classical music and I've found her some CDs there. Journals, calendars, pens, jewelry, books, candles, etc. all make good "filler" gifts. I also buy my wrapping paper and gift bags there.

2. We don't put out any gifts until Santa comes. That way the kids don't have time to count how many things there are. They go from nothing under the tree to BOOM! The surprise factor really helps.

3. I make as many gifts as possible. Crafts aren't always cheap, but a little creativity can go a long way. My mom collects oil lamps. One year I found some at the dollar store. I put beads inside and tied raffia around the necks. It really dressed them up, especially since she wasn't going to burn them anyway. We've also made decorative stepping stones. I type "cheap crafts" or "cheap gift ideas" in a search engine and then choose the best gift for the person I'm making it for.

4. Have Christmas with someone else. We've done Christmas morning with grandparents or aunts and uncles. Then there's gifts from you, from Santa, and from the grandparents, etc. all under the tree at once.

5. My hubby and I have waited to exchange gifts after the first of the year when we get our income tax refund. We still have stuff to open because our parents give us gifts.

6. Clearance shopping. I've hit the mother lode this year with things on clearance. The hubby and my dad are both hunters. Stores have started marking things down because deer season is almost over. The other thing is my middle daughter like camo.....BINGO!

7. Here's one of my favorites. Once the kids got a little older, we included them in the gift giving tradition. We make a list of who's going to be at our house on Christmas morning. Then we give them the money and everyone piles into the van to go shopping at the Dollar Store. Adults are available to help, but the kids choose the gifts, pay for the gifts and then wrap the gifts. My kids don't get an allowance throughout the year, even though they are expected to do chores, so this is another way of rewarding them. They do a pretty good job at picking out things they know the recipient will love. It's more gifts under the tree, and it allows them to focus more on giving than receiving.

8. My mom used to (and probably still does) buy things all year. If she finds a good price on something she picks it up and puts it away for Christmas. I'm not that disciplined, but it might work for someone else. ; )

9. I always try to buy at least one thing on the kids' lists that they really want. Then they're so excited about that that they forget about the other things. Make sure to collect the lists so they can't go back and compare! ; )

10. More is better. We buy one big gift and bunch of little gifts. By big, I don't mean expensive, I mean size. The more they have to open the bigger they remember Christmas being. Again...Dollar stores! Also, something I learned from my mom, I wrap everything individually. Instead of a box of makeup, I wrap the eyeshadow, the blush, etc.

God answered our prayers and Christmas worked itself out this year. I hope he answers yours too!

No comments: