Friday, December 28, 2007

All God's Creatures, Great and Small

Our latest adventure on the farm is a sick chicken. My youngest and my mother-in-law discovered her lying in the chicken pen. The other chickens were attacking her. My mother-in-law (the self-professed "city girl") rushes in to protect her until I can get there. It didn't look good for the poor soul, but the looks on the two hero's faces sets me to action. I ask Mom if she can hand her out to me, as the poor hen was in a difficult spot. Mom gives me this "you've got to be kidding" look, but with sheer determination, picks her up and hands her to me over the fence.

I took the poor thing into the kitchen where I mix up some antibiotic water and literally spoon feed the mixture to the hen. I've never force fed a chicken before, nor have I seen it done, but we managed just the same. I added a little sugar to the mixture, and in short time she's a little perkier. My youngest heats some left-over mashed potatoes in the microwave and the hen really perks up. She manages to stand and eat most of the potatoes. Mom and the youngest were on chicken guard duty while I went and prepared a cage.

We set her up in isolation in our mud room in a wire cage with table scraps and medicated water. She did ok for a couple of days, when back down she goes. By this time all of the extended family had gone back home. I sit most of the day yesterday with her wrapped in a towel in my lap, spoon feeding her sugar/ medicated water. She is now living in the kitchen in our make-shift brooder with a small space heater, table scraps and medicated sugar water. She's standing on her own two feet, has managed to eat a bit and is very interested in the water.

I'll keep you updated on her progress.

No comments: