Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Living My Grandmother's Life

This thought has been occuring to me over and over. It's amazing how closely my life resembles my grandmother's. There are some major differences too, but even the man I married is very close to my grandfather. This isn't a bad thing, not at all! They were amazing people, the down-to-earth type who would give you the shirt off their back.

She loved my grandfather fiercely, and they clung to each other through good times and bad. I always said that I wanted a marriage like that. My sister said they didn't make them that way any more, but I think I got lucky and found just one more guy like Pops. His life was his wife, and even on his death bed, he sent my aunt to buy Granny flowers on their anniversary. He said he hadn't missed a year, and wasn't going to let a little thing like cancer change that.

My grandparents didn't have or want a lot of money. Their basic needs were covered, with a luxury every now and then. They raised a huge garden (probably 2 to 3 acres at any given time) plus they raised cows, hogs, and chickens. They were professionals at "making do". And she was the only person I knew who could have 6-8 people show up at dinner time, add a few things to the table, and everyone walk away thinking it was the best meal they ever had.

Most of what I learned about relationships, hospitality, patience, and simple living I learned from her. I think I like living Granny's life. ;o)

No comments: