Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Happy 2008

Happy New Year everyone!

Now that Christmas is over with, I'm already thinking about what I want to plant in my spring garden. I bought a bunch of seeds on clearance at the end of the season last year. I think I paid about six cents a package for most of them. We had a lot of luck with squash, potatoes, green beans, and okra. This year I'm going to try and raise my own tomato seedlings, as my mom gave me my grandma's grow light. I'm also going to try to raise some fruit trees from seeds. A friend gave me a huge lemon off of her tree, and I read an article about how to start your own. My other grandmother had a lot of luck planting peach pits from peaches that she bought in the produce section.

The hubby and I were walking around outside this morning and we've decided to try and get some goats. We have 15 acres, but about 12 of them are heavily, heavily wooded. I eventually want to get some of the Spanish goats, because from what I've read, they make good pets. I want to be able to milk them to make soap. But, for now, we're going with miniature goats because they'll be easier to contain.

While we were walking around, checking things out, we discovered that our water trough has a hole in the bottom. He's going to fix that today. He wants to move it so that our Haflinger can't chase the other horses and knock the auto waterer off.

I've added some new things on the side under my profile. I finally was able to post some pictures that are permanent. I also joined a homesteading blogger group, and the link for that is a little further down.

Well, that's about it for now. It's a beautiful day outside and I really want to get some things done today. I may fire up the old tractor and start hauling "horse compost" into the gardens. Yep, I compost the easy way....let the horses do it ; ) !

Everyone have a blessed New Year! As my middle daughter said at 12:03 am last night, it's going to be a much better year this year, I promise! ;)

1 comment:

Niki said...

Hi, I've enjoyed my visit, you have a very nice blog :)
Your crocheted doll is adorable!